Today, you will learn how to create the perfect WordPress blog.
I will share with you an easy, step-by-step guide on how to start your own blog on Bluehost.
You will find discounted pricing with Bluehost so that you can start your blog for cheap. You will also receive a free domain name and free SSL certificate if you use my link.
But you’re probably wondering:
“What do I need to know to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost the right way?”
A few years ago, I was just like you. I had an idea that I was passionate about. I took action and learned everything I needed to in order to make my dream a reality.
I quickly had a thriving blog – and business, allowing me to live a life I truly love. Blogging gives me the freedom to work whenever I want, from anywhere in the world. Even making money while I sleep!
Let me show you how you can have the same success when you create your blog.
Click here to start a WordPress blog, then read the guide I’ve created for you. Feel free to use all of the advice I share.
The Steps to Starting a WordPress Blog on Bluehost
- Register Your Domain Name
- Sign-up for Hosting
- Install WordPress
- Make Your Blog Beautiful
- The Joy of Creating a Craft or DIY Blog
1. Register Your Domain Name
You may be wondering:
“What is a domain name, exactly?”
A domain name is the address people type into their browser’s search bar to find your blog.
This website’s domain name is knittingauthority.com.
Click here to purchase a domain name and start a blog, then continue to read my step-by-step guide below.
My tip is to keep your domain simple and easy to spell. Go with something that makes you happy. But don’t worry…
…people will visit your blog even if your domain name isn’t perfect.
You can check to see if your domain name is available by entering it in the box below:
Once you have your domain name, you’re going to be amazed at how simple is to create a WordPress blog on Bluehost…
You can buy your domain name through Bluehost. When you purchase through my link, you can get your domain FREE if you buy 12 months of web hosting from Bluehost. Not only will you save a lot of money by getting a free domain, but you’ll get a cheaper monthly price when you sign-up for 12 months of hosting or longer.
Do you want to save money with Bluehost…or wait until this deal is gone?
If you decide to save money and start a blog for cheap, continue to step 2 of this guide where you can sign-up for hosting and get your free domain in one easy step.
2. Sign-up for Hosting
Web hosting allows people to access your blog through the Internet. Without a domain name and web hosting, no one can see your blog. You need both.
Even big websites like Amazon and Ravelry must have a domain name and web hosting.
Bluehost is one of the biggest and top web hosting companies in 2018. It makes starting a blog easy because of its “1-click WordPress installation” feature.
You can get a free SSL certificate (to protect your site’s visitors – a must in today’s world) and a free domain name when you buy 12 months of web hosting. For an even better deal, I recommend purchasing a 36 month plan, as it will cost you much less in the end.
The Basic plan should be all you need for now. I’d also skip all of the additional options. When you need more features, you can easily add them.
But here’s the kicker:
I strongly recommend that you do not select month-to-month for hosting. It costs more money and you risk dealing with an expired website every month. For example, if your credit card expires or hosting isn’t renewed, then your blog will go down and no one can visit your site. You risk losing business – and money.
The longer you sign-up for, the cheaper it is. If you purchase a 12-month plan or longer, you get a free domain name and a free SSL certificate through my link. But the better value is a 36-month plan, as your overall monthly rate is lower.
If you’re looking to create a blog or website that will make you money for years to come, start by saving money today with a 36 month plan.
Buy Hosting for Your Blog: Step-by-Step
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Click on your desired hosting plan (most likely the basic plan).
- Sign-up for a new domain name or enter the domain name you already registered.
- Enter your personal information.
- Enter your billing information.
- Create a password.
3. Install WordPress
Most blogs use WordPress. It’s simple to use and creates a high-quality site.
You can get WordPress for free through Bluehost.
You might be wondering:
“Wouldn’t it be easier to create a free blog on a site like Blogger?”
Many free platforms like Blogger and Medium are more limited in functionality than WordPress. They typically make it difficult to have full control over how your site looks, and limit your ability to turn your blog into a business.
I believe WordPress is the best blog platform for making money online…
…and it’s the best blog platform for crafters who want to make money with a craft blog.
I think all bloggers should create a self-hosted WordPress blog. When you have a self-hosted WordPress blog, you own your site and are making money for yourself. With free blog sites, someone else owns your site, and you’re simply helping them make money.
That’s why successful designers, artists, and creatives have their own websites.
Want to know the best part?
Bluehost made installing WordPress super easy.
After you create your password, Bluehost begins to walk you through the steps:
- Click the login button.
- Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. You can change it later, so don’t feel pressured to find the perfect theme right away. You can also scroll to the bottom and skip this step.
- Click on “Start Building.”
- You will now be asked what kind of site you would like to create – business or personal. You also can choose “I don’t need help.”
- Click the “Launch” button on your WordPress dashboard when you’re ready for your site to go online.
- You will now be taken to the WordPress login page to sign-in. This is where you will login to your site from now on, so be sure to bookmark it.
Congratulations! You have created a WordPress blog on Bluehost!
4. Make Your Blog Beautiful
If you’re looking to make your blog design beautiful, you want to pick a theme.
The most popular premium themes are:
- GeneratePress Premium – This is the current theme I use with Knitting Authority. It’s a theme that allows you to design your site, from typography to spacing.
- The Genesis Framework – I use Genesis on most of my other blogs, and I highly recommend it. You’ll also want to check out the available StudioPress Themes.
- The Thesis Theme – Thesis looks great, is easy-to-use, and has several theme options. It also has a lot of great design and marketing options built-in to make growing your blog easier.
Once you have your theme, you need to install it. After you login to your site:
- On the left-hand side, click on “Appearance”, then click on “Themes.”
- At the top of the screen, click on “Add New.”
- At the top of the screen, you will see an option for “Upload Theme.” Click on it, then click on “Browse.” Navigate to where you downloaded your new theme to your computer, and select the “.ZIP” file.
- Click on “Install Now.”
- Once your theme is installed, you will see a message telling you it was successfully installed. There will be links to preview the theme and to activate it. Click on “Activate.”
You’ve now successfully installed and activated your WordPress theme.
Your theme may have some settings you need to configure. Follow the instructions given by the company you purchased the theme from.
Here are some tips for when you first start using WordPress. After you login:
- Click on “Posts” on the left-hand side to create new blog posts.
- Click on “Media” on the left-hand side to add images.
- On the left-hand side, click on “Appearance,” then click on “Widgets” to add content to your header, sidebar, footer, etc.
Summary: The Joy of Creating a Craft Blog
Creating your own blog or website is a wonderful way to grow a craft business – whether you’re involved in knitting pattern design, dyeing and spinning yarn, or another creative outlet. And it only takes a few dollars a month to start a blog!
As you read above in the “Install WordPress” section:
A WordPress blog is the best platform for crafters.
It’s your blog.
It’s your business.
It’s your rules.
I hope you enjoy creating a WordPress blog on Bluehost.